If you are looking to join the South African National Defence Force which comprises the armed forces of South Africa, then here’s how to submit your application.
The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has vacancies for people interested in obtaining qualifications and training in defence.
SANDF vacancies include military positions, air forces positions and navy positions.
The South African National Defence Force Reserves is a voluntary and part-time directorate of the SANDF. The reserves provide guidance, assistance and expertise to our armed forces, and they’ll respond to crises that arise.
Candidates can join the SANDF reserves through the Military Skills Development System (MSDS) which is a Department of Defence programme that serves as entry-level platform for young South Africans who want to follow a career in the South African National Defence Force.
Joining the reserves gives you the opportunity to serve your country and a chance to provide humanitarian assistance to those in need in time of natural or other disasters.
Applications for positions at SANDF are found in various newspapers as well as on the Careers Portal website.
How to Apply At SANDF
- Find an application for SANDF in the newspaper or on the Careers Portal website.
- Fill in your information in the blank spaces, make sure that this is accurately filled out.
- Attach your CV and required documents such as your matric certificate and a copy of your ID document to your completed application form.
- Submit the documents to the address listed on the application form through the post.
The Department of Defence employs young, fit and healthy candidates who are citizens of the Republic of South Africa.
In order to qualify for the MSDS programme you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a South African citizen.
- Be aged between 18 and 22 years (Graduates up to the age of 26 years).
- Be currently busy with the National Senior Certificate (Grade 12) or have completed it.
- Not be area bound.
- Have no record of a criminal offence.
- Be preferably single.
- Comply with medical fitness requirements for appointment in the South African National Defence Force.
- Be prepared to do Basic Military Training, Functional Training and to serve in uniform.
Applicants who are employed as SANDF reserves are able to serve the country and they are also given the opportunity to travel abroad.