Jakes Gerwel Fellowship is inviting students to apply for the Graduate Teaching Fellowship (GTF), for the 2023 academic year. The fellowship is aimed at Teaching students, entering their Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) studies, at these partner universities: the University of the Western Cape, University of Cape Town, University of Pretoria, University of Johannesburg, and the University of the Witwatersrand.
The fellowship provides students with access to personal coaches, mentors, and expert teachers, as well as elective activities. After completing their PGCE qualification, students qualify as high school teachers, and thereater they enter a 2-year induction phase where they are placed in partner schools as newly qualified teachers.
The GTF is a full university scholarship that provides cover for the following:
- PGCE tuition fees, laptop, residence, printing needs, and a monthly stipend.
- An intensive reflective and leadership development program that is aligned with JGF’s pathways to impact as expert teachers, educational leaders, and social entrepreneurs.
- A national Community of Practice, focusing on individual teaching subjects.
- Professional and pedagogical coaching as the individual navigates their first years of teaching.
- A dedicated Teacher Coach for your first 2 years of teaching – the Teacher Coach will offer support and guidance as you learn about your teaching profession and the relevant school culture.
- An opportunity to be mentored by an outstanding teacher identified as a JGF Mentor – they will offers guidance, best practice,s and social assimilation into the teaching profession and teacher identity.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident in South Africa
- You must be under 30 years old or 30 years old at the time of the application closing date
- You must have completed an appropriate undergraduate qualification or be in your final year of undergraduate studies
- You must be in good academic standing
- You must be eligible for PGCE enrollment (MRTEQ does not recognize postgraduate qualifications)
- You must intend on studying towards a PGCE qualification in 2023
- You must have applied to study or be studying at one of these partner universities: UWC, UCT, UP, UJ or WITS
- You must be passionate about teaching and education
- You must intend on becoming a high school teacher
- You must be committed to fully participating in the JGF program
- You must be aligned with JGF’s vision of social change in education in South Africa
How to Apply
Before applying, candidates must complete the Eligibility Quiz – those who pass the quiz will receive further instructions to apply.
If you know of someone who would qualify for this fellowship, you may Nominate them.
If you were nominated by someone else, you will need to complete the Eligibility Quiz above.
Applications are encouraged to download and read the JGF ApplicJGF-Application-Guideation Guide (.pdf) before applying.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document OR South African permanent residence (certified copy)
- Full tertiary academic record (certified copies)
- Proof of application or acceptance to study at one of the partner universities (on institutions letterhead)
IMPORTANT DATES & SELECTION OF JAKES GERWEL FELLOWS
- 25 July 2022: applications close.
- 1 to 31 August 2022: telephonic interviews are conducted.
- 1 to 3 October 2022: selection camp takes place.
- 30 November 2022: fellowships are awarded.
- December 2022 and January 2023: onboarding takes place.
All applicants that pass the initial application stage will be contacted via email or telephone, and notified about the telephonic interview. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the Selection Camp. After the Selection Camp, successful candidates will be notified and thereafter, onboarding to the Fellowship will take place.
Bursary Application Closing Date: 25 July 2022.