The South African Army invites unemployed youth to apply for the Military Skills Development System (MSDS) 22023-2024
The duration of this Training Programme is 12-24 months taking place in all 9 provinces around SA.
Military Skills Development System (MSDS)
The Military Skills Development System (MSDS) is a two-year voluntary service system that allows young South African citizens to serve in uniform.
Successful MSDS candidates will receive basic military training, specific mustering, and functional training in the first year and be utilized or deployed internally or externally in the second year of the MSDS.
After the 2 years, you will either continue as part of the Reserve Force or receive a contract offer to join the Regular Force.
What kind of training can you expect?
In the first 2 years of voluntary service, you can expect to receive the following training.
First Year of Military Skills Development Service
- Basic military training and functional training.
- Corps-specific training.
- Participation in practical military exercises.
- Combat-ready training exercises.
- Selection of junior leaders.
Second Year of Military Skills Development Service
- Junior leaders (Officers) are receiving leader group corps training.
- Undergo Young Officers Formative training.
- Selection of Officers to study at the Military Academy.
- Focus on utilization and deployment of Military Skills Development System troops.
Military Skills Development System members will receive wages for the duration of their two-year full-time training and utilization.
If you are interested in joining the Military Skills Development System, you can contact SANDF’s Western Cape recruitment offices at 021 787 1144, or you can contact SANDF’s head office at (012) 355 6999 or via email at email@example.com.
Requirements for the MSDS program
To qualify for the MSDS program, you have to meet the following requirements:
- Be a South African citizen only. (No dual citizenship).
- Grade 12 Applicants must be between the ages of 18 – 22 years.
- Graduates and/or other Tertiary Qualifications up to the age of 26 years.
- Completed Grade 12 with (Average of 50% or level 4) (Mathematics and Science will be advantageous).
- Admission Point Score (APS) of 17 excluded Life Orientation (LO).
- Leadership potential.
- Not to be area bound.
- Have no criminal record or pending cases.
- Comply with medical fitness requirements for the appointment (Minimum height Females 148cm, Males 155cm and Minimum weight Females 48kg, Males 52kg (Within average height/weight ratio.
How to Apply
Applicants have to complete an application form for the army, navy, or air force and submit it with the following certified documents:
- Copy of ID,
- copy of Grade 12 certificate/statement of results,
- highest achieved qualifications (e.g. Degree, National Diploma or N6), and
- a short CV.
Once your application form is completed, and all your documents have been certified, you can post it to:
SA Army HQ
Chief Directorate Army Corporate Services
Directorate Army Human Resource
Private Bag X 981
Specific related inquiries can be directed to 012 339 5803/5781/5243. Further information can be obtained at www.dod.mil.za and www.army.mil.za.
You can also follow up on your application by contacting SANDF’s human resources department at 012 339 5803/5781/5243 or via email: at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on 29 February. If you don’t from SANDF by 31 October please consider your application unsuccessful.
Note: Requirements to join the South African Air Force (SAAF), Navy (SAN), and the Military Health Service (SAMHS) may differ from that of the SA Army, please contact to SANDF at 021 787 1144 to find out more.
Application forms: SA Army, SA Navy, SA Air Force pilots and engineers, SA Air Force technical support, and SA Military Health Services.
SA Army Intelligence Traineeship Programme
The MSD program is a two-year voluntary service system with the long-term goal of enhancing the SA National Defence Force’s deployment capability. Recruits are required to sign up for a period of two years, during which they will receive Basic and Functional Military Training in their first year of service. Recruits wishing to join the Special Forces can complete any of the other Services’ MSD programs during the first year. During the second year of service, potential candidates will attend the Special Forces Basic Training Cycle.
- South African citizen (No dual citizenship)
- Age between 18 and 22 (graduates 26)
- Currently in Grade 12 or completed
- Not area bound
- No record of serious criminal offense or offenses
- Preferably single
- Comply with medical fitness requirements for appointment in the SANDF
How to Apply
Application for SA Army MSDS will be available here for download, you can check the picture of the application below.
Attach CV with certified copies of qualifications and ID to this application form and send to the SA Army Headquarters, Chief Army Corporate Services, Directorate Army Human Resources, Private Bag X981, Pretoria 0001.