Home NSFAS NSFAS N+ Rule Leaves Students Without Funding

NSFAS N+ Rule Leaves Students Without Funding


The University of Pretoria (UP) Student Representative Council (SRC) of 2022 has received a number of complaints from students who were previously funded by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). The Council has now engaged with relevant parties to reach a resolution that will help the affected students.

It has been reported that a number of previously NSFAS-funded UP students have been negatively affected by the implementation of the N+ rule.

In the meantime, the UP SRC has assisted the affected students through the university’s Department of Student Affairs programs which makes provision for food and sanitary towels.

Student information has been collected and the SRC has confirmed that this information has been submitted to the Institutional Executive Management and the Finance Department.

In a statement, the university’s SRC shared:

This is still an ongoing engagement.

NSFAS has an appeals process should student applications be declined due to exceeding the N+ rule.

According to the SRC President, Thuto Mashile, over 1 300 first-time and returning students took the opportunity of making appeals.

Mashile added that approximately 200 students have outstanding documents. These students have been advised to check the NSFAS portal and submit outstanding documents as soon as possible.

Final year students with credits less than 60, will need to submit the Letter of Propensity regardless of the N+ rule. This document may be requested from the students’ Faculty Student Administration.

Due to this, the SRC has also requested an extension to submit documents, however, feedback is yet to be provided.

For additional financial assistance, the student council has committed to engaging with the university on accessing its own donors and funds to help the students affected by the N+1 rule and unsuccessful appeals.

Mashile has requested that both affected and unaffected students apply for the UP Financial Aid.

The Council has encouraged students to contact them should they need help. For students who need help with NSFAS related issues, the SRC Study Finance Officer is the point of contact, via [email protected].

Leave a Reply