As more and more young graduates are looking for options that are available in the teaching profession, many universities have an offering of the Postgraduate Certificate in Education as a qualification that will allow them to operate in this profession. The University of Pretoria also offers this qualification, which extends over a year.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is a professional teaching qualification aimed at graduates interested in taking up teaching as a career.
The University of Pretoria (UP) is one of the many institutions of higher learning that offers this qualification.
If you’re interested in studying towards a PGCE qualification through UP, you need to make sure that you have an appropriate Bachelor’s degree or accredited and approved Diploma is required for all the programmes.
Prospective students who hold a 360-credit Diploma have to provide evidence that their Diplomas are approved and accredited by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
Follow These Steps to Apply:
- Using your internet browser, click on the university’s online application link.
- On the online applications page, read on the application guidelines, students accommodation and many more.
- Click on the apply now link to continue with your online application.
- You will then click on the ‘I want…’ dropdown list on the UP Portal.
- On the list of three options, click on ‘start a new application’
- Click on the ‘Career of study’ dropdown list, you have the option of clicking between Postgraduate full-time or opt for the distance-study program only in the Faculty of Education option.
- Click on the dropdown of the year of study, and choose the academic year that you want to study for.
- Enter your details on the empty fields, scroll down and click on Go at the bottom right corner.
- An email for you to continue with your online application using your UP student number and password will be sent to your email address.
This certificate is presented in the Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7 to 12), and also in the Further Education and Training Phase Teaching (Grade 10 to 12) fields of specialisation.
It is advisable that prospective students also do research on funding options that are available for the teaching qualification.