Can Students With Higher Certificates Apply For NSFAS

A number of public and private institutions of higher learning in South Africa offer Higher Certificates courses. If you are looking for funding for this, you may want to start by enquiring with the government bursary scheme, NSFAS.

If you have managed to satisfy the minimum subject requirements of a Higher Certificate pass in your matric year, there are courses that you qualify to enrol for in some institutions of higher learning.

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) covers a wide range of courses, and fortunately, this includes qualifying Higher Certificate students who are pursuing their studies through one of South Africa’s public institutions of higher learning.

The Scheme helps students pay for their tertiary education by covering costs such as tuition fees, study material allowances, etc.

If you’ll be enrolled for this qualification through a university, here are the requirements:

  1. Must be a South African citizen
  2. Must be applying or accepted at a University
  3. SASSA grant recipients immediately qualify
  4. Must have a household income below R350 000 per year
  5. If you’re a person living with a disability, your household income must come to R600 000 or less

If you opt for a Technical and Vocational Education and Training college, the NSFAS qualifying criteria are the same.

Is NSFAS Still A Loan?

NSFAS is a government entity that falls under the Department of Higher Education and Training which offers financial support to students who do not have the means to pay for their studies at tertiary institutions.

For many years, the Scheme operated as a student loan until December 2017, and the government made sure that it brings change by converting it into a bursary scheme as of 2018.

Leave a Reply